Rapid - Attacking - Integrated - Defense

The R A I D Combat System is a dynamic, effective and fully integrated method of self-defense and personal protection that is dedicated to providing real-world survival tools to civilians, law enforcement, executive protection professionals and military operators worldwide.

The R A I D Combat System is not only an effective method of self-defense, but also a path of personal growth that uses self-defense as it's vehicle. Founded in 2005, The R A I D Combat System was not designed to be a "System of Systems". It's also not just a mere assortment of techniques removed from various martial disciplines...Quite the contrary. R A I D is a perfectly structured and defined unity of concepts, principles and techniques that is the direct result of a rigorous and tested introspection.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What is R A I D Exactly?

The three major guidelines of R A I D are:
(1) Simplicity, (2) Directness and (3) Economy of Motion.

(1) Simplicity:

a. Simplicity means that you do what is necessary to accomplish the task in the most efficient means possible without any complicated motions or actions.

b. Simplicity is not always easy to learn and is often even more difficult to execute.

(2) Directness:

a. Directness means that your attack should take the shortest route to the target without any preparatory or telegraphic movements.

b. R A I D follows the Jeet Kune Do Principle - Longest weapon to the nearest target

(3) Economy of Motion:

a. Economy of Motion means that techniques are delivered in a practical, non-traditional manner.

b. When delivering a strike, emphasis is placed on hitting the target with speed and power, rather than technique. In other words, don't worry about whether the technique looked "pretty" or not! R A I D is about effective self defense, not winning forms competitions!

This does not, however, mean that anything is apart of the R A I D system!

There are specific footwork patterns, strikes, defensive movements, energy/sensitivity drills, training methods and attack strategies.

There are many things that you will not see in a R A I D Combat System training session and why:

- Classical uniforms with belts or sashes.

R A I D has a non-traditional attitude in training.

- Barefooted instructors and students.

R A I D looks at everything from a practical standpoint; you wouldn’t fight barefooted (hopefully) so training that way isn't very practical!

- Stiff, low stances with one or both hands on the hip.

R A I D employs an on-guard position which is highly mobile and effective for both offense and defense.

- Striking from a position where the hand is at the hip or drawing the hand back for a strike.

R A I D prepares the practitioner to strike from wherever the hand may be; no preparatory motion is necessary.

- Chambering the leg before delivering a kick.

R A I D follows its Jeet Kune Do roots as kicks take the most direct route to the target, using proper footwork and hip action for power.

- Rigid, classical blocking movements.

R A I D prefers the intercept the attack with a strike or kick. Advance techniques employ a simultaneous parry and strike.

- Classical Forms: Katas, Kuens or Hyungs.

R A I D is designed for effective street defense, not winning competitions.

- Striking, kicking and defending with the power side to the rear.

R A I D prefers the power side forward where it can be most effective.

- Wide, looping or energy-wasting attack and defense movements.

R A I D movements are simple and direct.

- Extensive use of the traditional horizontal fist for striking.

R A I D punching uses the vertical fist structure for greater efficiency and better centerline protection while striking.

- Emphasis on bowing every time you turn around.

R A I D Practitioners show respect to each other by making sure each get the most out of every training session.

- Footwork involving wide, sweeping patterns from a low, static stance.

R A I D footwork is light, quick and to the point with no telegraphic movement.

- Practicing all techniques by striking in the air only.

R A I D training utilizes various striking apparatus such as focus gloves, kicking shields, Thai pads, the Wing Chun wooden dummy, and the heavy bag, so that the student conditions their striking weapons as they learn to strike with speed, power and accuracy.

No comments: